SCHOOL ATTENDANCE POLICY
In line with the Hawaii State Compulsory School Attendance Law, Waiakea Intermediate School expects students to attend school daily and be in class on time so that optimum benefits of their education can be achieved. Unexcused and/or excessive absences and tardies are unacceptable and impinge upon a student’s education and academic performance.
School Guidelines on Absences
1. In order to ensure students’ accountability for their attendance and to ensure consistent data
collection, the school will process and maintain attendance on a daily basis and as required.
2. The school will only excuse absences when written documentation (note) is submitted or verbal
notification is received from a student’s parent or legal guardian, and absences are for one of
the following reasons:
a. Medical or dental related reasons, injury, or quarantine (i.e. chicken pox, measles, etc.).
A verifiable doctor’s or dentist’s note for five (5) days or more of consecutive absences.
b. Death in the family.
3. Excused absences involving school authorized activities may include, but are not limited to:
• On campus activities, such as: appointments with a teacher, counselor, or administrator,
treatment in the health room, assigned detention or in-school-suspension
• Off campus activities, such as student council related activities and team field trips
• Other activities approved by the Principal or designee prior to the activity and absence
4. Written documentation (note) should include the following information:
a. Date note was written
b. Child’s first and last legal name (name listed in school’s records)
c. Grade level
d. Date(s) of absence
e. Reason for absence
f. Name & phone number(s) of parent/guardian
g. Parent/legal guardian’s signature
5. Verbal notification can be made by contacting the school main office attendance line
at 981-7213, before 8:15am and should include the following information:
a. Child’s first and last legal name (name listed in school’s records)
b. Grade level
c. Date(s) of absence
d. Reason for absence
e. Name & relationship of person placing phone call (Mother, Father, etc.)
f. Phone number(s) of parent/guardian
6. Unexcused absences may include, but are not limited to the following situations that might
occur during a school day:
a. Babysitting siblings or other children
b. Caring for the elderly or family member
c. Entertaining visitors/guests
d. Kept at home for household needs such as cleaning, moving residences, etc.
e. Family vacations *
f. Parent request without explanation
g. Personal business
h. Youth Camp*
i. Sports competition events*
*Note: Parents/guardians must notify the school in writing as soon as plans for any extended absences due to family vacations, youth camps, and/or sports competition events (i.e. Little League World Series, etc.) have been made by the parents/guardians.
7. Teachers are required to provide make-up work for excused absences only.
Homework for Absences
If a child is absent from school for two (2) or more consecutive days, the parent/guardian may request for homework by calling their child’s team counselor. Homework requests must be made by 8:15am to allow counselors and teachers sufficient time to complete the request. Parents/guardians must pick up homework on the day of request at the main office between 3:00pm and 4:00pm. Please call the main office to confirm that there are assignments for your child before coming to the school.
Homework must be completed upon student’s return to school or as directed by teacher.